Saturday, March 18, 2006

MIDEM Thoughts

So the last few days have been hectic, to say the least. I think I may post up some of my writings from a trip to MIDEM in Cannes, France. MIDEM is one week in late January when a lot of people get together to schmooze and praise each other and pay for it while spending the profit from an artist’s Intellectual Property – their creations… their songs. Basically… if you know someone who went to MIDEM, I would almost be certain they did not pay for the trip out of their own pocket and they pissed away a portion of an artist’s hard work.

See they have meetings and discussion forums. The meetings are set-up in advance and the participants try like hell to make a good impression and make as many deals as possible. They also have discussion forums, which are led by a great collection of panelists. The problem is that when the panel is done the audience tends to flood the stage as if the U2 just finished playing a sold out stadium at Slane Castle. Give me a break; all these people do is exploit the artists by not setting up a fair compensation structure.

You hear me complain a lot about the artist-label compensation structure, but I think it is justified. The labels have exclusive deals with
These under the table deals virtually lock out any non-major label artist from

The artist is typically left with two options – 1) cave in and hope you can make it with a major or 2) have a go on your own and see if you can catch enough breaks to become mildly successful.

Well this is long enough without any of my writings… I’ll add them in a separate post.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]